Clogged Toilet Secrets
It is not uncommon for homeowners to wish for a toilet that will never clog. It is a wish that is shared by many. The great news is it can happen. There is not a resident out there that needs to have a clogged toilet as long as they have the information they need.
A clogged toilet is typically caused by the same few issues that can be fixed and prevented easily, This will stop the clogs and keep residents from having to call for an emergency service call in the middle of the night. Keep reading for all the info about how to keep the toilet running smoothly for years to come.
The Reasons Behind A Clogged Toilet
There are several different reasons for a clogged toilet. Depending on the residents, the plumbing system, and the overall maintenance, it can be due to several different factors. Take a look at the most common issues below:
Flushing Food: Nothing beyond wastewater and toilet paper is meant to go down the toilet. Many homeowners, however, use it to flush food, oil, grease, and other items that can create a clog.
- Vent Issue: A vent system helps gravity carry wastewater to the sewer or septic tank. If there is an issue with the vents, it can cause a back up in the toilet.
- Sewer Line: The main sewer line is what carries your toilet flush to its final destination. Although not as common, it can become clogged causing the backup to build into the home.
- Flushing Other Objects: When there are kids in the home, it is possible for a toy, or even a shoe, to get flushed. This will cause a block that will not allow the toilet to drain correctly.
Although other situations can cause your toilet to become clogged, there are the most common reasons.
How A Toilet Is Unclogged By The Professionals
Toilet clogs are one of the most common service calls for professional plumbers, so they have become the leading expert on how to repair the issue. If the situation is fairly new, the technician will try a basic plunger and similar tools to try and dislodge the block.
If that does not work, a camera scope will be used to find the clog. The blockage can be removed with a high powered water gun that will break up the debris. If it is a more serious situation, such as a clog in the main sewer line, the technician may have to clean out that area which can be more invasive.
Typically, however, a clog can be easily remedied by a professional with the right tools. That can quickly find and repair the issue, so residents can go back to flushing as usual.
Essential Tips for Preventing Toilet Clogs
This is where the good stuff comes in; how to prevent the clogs from happening in the first place. Many homeowners are happy to know that it doesn’t take a lot.
- Food: Food must be disposed of correctly including liquids like oil, grease, milk, and other examples that can create clogs.
- Toilet paper: Make sure toilet paper is the only thing going down the drain. Sanitary wipes, wet napkins, etc should be thrown in the trash versus down the drain.
- Chemicals: chemicals used to unclog drains can be corrosive to your pipes and should be avoided.
- Act Quickly: a simple clog can turn into an overflow very quickly. If a toilet is not draining, and plunging makes no difference, call for help as soon as possible.
Reeves Family Plumbing
Reeves Family Plumbing has been the plumbing experts in Dallas, TX for years. They offer drain and plumbing services along with quality service. Their hard-working professionals are available for 24/7 emergency service.